On this page I collect some resources for language learning, which is my main hobby. These are free materials where possible, including some produced by myself.
Western Armenian (Արեւմտահայերէն)
I was not able to find much material for Western Armenian with audio recording suitable for beginning learners (I consider the audio fundamental when learning a language).
Luckily, there also exist a few freely accessible resources:
- The public domain book A Textbook of Modern Western Armenian by Kevork B. Bardakjian and Robert W. Thomson, published by Caravan Books in 1977.
- There also seems to be a very cheap, print-on-demand revised edition of A Textbook of Modern Western Armenian by Kevork B. Bardakjian and Bert Vaux, which (judging from the preview) seems more nicely typeset than the original one.
- Free audio recordings for A Textbook of Modern Western Armenian, courtesy of the Language Resource Center of the University of Michigan. There is a total of 9h19m of MP3 audio (about 3h14m when the silent portions are deleted).
- I am writing solutions to the translation exercises from A Textbook of Modern Western Armenian as I read the book (work in progress 🚧).
- The book Western Armenian for the English-Speaking World: A Contrastive Approach by Dora Sakayan is available in PDF on the Yerevan State University Press website.
- The website Learn Western Armenian (available in English and French), apparently an interactive version of the book Manuel d’arménien occidental pour les non-arménophones (3 volumes and 4 cassette tapes) by Hilda Kalfayan-Panossian, 1993.
- Learning Western Armenian at Internet Archive, by Robert G. Bedrosian. A collection of links to resources on the Internet Archive.
- Lisa Gulesserian also maintains a page with Western Armenian resources, including textbooks, radios, podcasts, videos and websites for children.